Fleetwood-Bawden is proud to house a Montessori alternate program for students in Grades 1 through 5. Although there are many similarities between our regular elementary classrooms and that of a Montessori classroom, some of the distinguishing features that make it unique are as follows:
- a teacher educated in Montessori philosophy and methodologies appropriate to the age level of the students;
- a program which is characterized by the teaching of subjects in an integrated fashion wherever possible;
- a schedule which allows large blocks of time to problem-solve, observe and understand interactions and connections in knowledge to create new ideas;
- a diverse set of Montessori materials, activities and experiences that foster physical, intellectual, creative and social independence;
- multi-age classrooms to foster a sense of community.
The staff of Fleetwood-Bawden work closely with the Lethbridge Montessori Society to ensure quality Montessori programming and community support.